Easter Traditions To Start In 2017

Wednesday 12 April 2017






Oh, how I love Easter time! (and not just for the chocolate!)
It always means family time and relaxing for the long weekend. We get to sleep in on Sunday then get up to toasted hot cross buns then nibble on our Easter eggs for the rest of the day. I know it's a holiday that means different things to different people, but it's always a time to enjoy good company and treat yourself a little.

I always see the loveliest decorations and baking ideas in magazines/on Pinterest that makes me feel inspired. It puts me in the Easter spirit and for the past few years I've tried to think of new traditions I can make for our family. I thought I'd make a list of small ways to do this and share them with you!



Bake a themed cake 

I've seen so many amazing cakes covered in speckles or topped with Cadbury Mini Eggs. The pastel cupcakes look adorable too. Truth is, most of the recipes are actually pretty easy to put together. Easter is a great time to practice your baking skills and maybe even show off to your work mates. If you're having an Easter meal with your family, a themed cake would be such a lovely way to surprise them.


Try making your own hot cross buns

I know the store-bought ones are easy to pick up, but can you imagine how amazing your kitchen would smell with a batch of freshly baked buns? Yum! They would also be better for you too, with less preservatives and you can even add whatever fruit (or chocolate) you like. There's easy-to-make recipes online and even the gluten-free options means that no one misses out, no matter your dietary needs. Give it a try! You could even get the whole family in on it.


Throw a brunch party

I have to admit, this is something I plan on making a tradition this year for sure. I usually only cook a big family brunch at Christmas time, so why not do it for other holidays too? You can get as creative as you like with the menu, chocolate chip pancakes, french toast, or just mountains of avocado on toast. Make it as healthy (or not) as you like, just make sure to invite loved ones around to share it with and have a good time.


Get outside with your family 

Something non-food related (although you could always bring a picnic!) Even though Autumn is upon us now in New Zealand, I know for a lot of lucky people it's now Spring time. With a new season bringing more sunshine, it's the perfect time to get outside and enjoy some fresh air. You could go walking with you dogs, pretend to be kids at a park, find a walking trail, or even stage an outside Easter egg hunt!





I hope everyone has a lovely Easter weekend!
What traditions do you and your family have? Or any you would like to start?
Steph x.


2 comments :

  1. These are great ideas Steph! We have our traditional Easter Cake that we make every year with our Nanna and Grandad, it will be on our blog tomorrow! :) When we are at home we always have big family meals which are lovely. The first time I spent Easter with Chris's family was fun because they do an Easter Egg hunt for everyone, adults included. So that's a fun way to be outside! :) Me and Luc definitely want to try our own hot cross buns! :) This weekend, we might actually spend our first Easter on the beach with Lucy's in laws, but we may also cook a meal just for the 4 of us too! :)
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Happy Easter!
    Kelly
    www.theblossomtwins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I didn't have to work all the week & weekend of Easter, I'd totally do these! The brunch idea sounds perfect for family at the holidays! :) Tania Michele xx

    ReplyDelete